Re-cap on a year gone bye (part 2)
In this part I will pick up from January and Farther Christmas did indeed bring me the Drum Mics I had requested. (must have been good that year) They were Red5 Audios RVK 7 piece drum mic set. I also paid for a 3rd condenser mic to record the hats. But it turns out the over heads are amazing so I use the extra mic to capture the room sound. This is a fairly inexpensive set at £159.99 I will be doing a review on the mics I use at a later stage. But I have to say im uber pleased with them.
I then Purchased my mixer a Berhinger 2442fx which I have a review of in my earlier posts. This enabled me to capture the mics sound and send it straight into my pc’s music software, I tried various types of software throughout this journey the first I tried was a free piece of software called Audacity. Which was great at first but I soon found it limitations and error messages taxing. I then moved onto Logic and soon remembered why I hated it so much at college. Ive finally settled on Adobe Audition 3. This is a brilliant piece of software and enables me to do all I could ever want to do.
So with these in place I moved onto my next video LIT’s “my own worst enemy” this was a bit of a disaster. The drums sounded good with there new Mics but I had a huge problem playing in time to the song. It wasn’t that it’s a hard song I just literally couldn’t hear the music. Which then lead me to another problem. The earphones I was using were not up to the job. It meant spending more money on investing in some decent closed cup monitoring Headphones. I went for the Sennheiser HD280 pros. (there is also a review on these further down my blogs). But these turned out to be invaluable.
Below is my LIT cover (also with terrible lighting) and recorded on my old phone an iphone 3gs. Nowhere near the quality of the 4 as you can see. I will also be redoing this song when I get the chance.
Since getting my earphones I have been able to produce some good sounding covers. I have throughout the year brought various different drum bits and bobs. Some of which I will be doing reviews on over the next few weeks. I have also swoped out my larger A customs for some more recording friendly smaller diameter A customs which I also think adds to the sound of the recording. These were used in my latest drum cover of the “Ghostbusters.” Let me know what you think.
Well thank you for reading. Hope you found it entertaining and a little useful.
I would recommend to anyone that feels a bit stuck in a rut or just looking for a project, to give making covers ago. It’s a lot of fun. And really does pull you in. Im hoping i can push forward this year and improve further on what ive done. One part im looking at is how I actually produce my videos and trying to make them more apealing using Adobe Premier. Which is a hard program to use.
Ill leave you with the video bellow.
Posted on November 4, 2011, in Drumming Bits and Bobs., General Goings on and tagged a year in review, Adam Bennett, Aj bennett, Ajbennett, behringer 2442fx, DW Drums, Recording Drums, Recording Music, Reviews, Sennheiser HD280pro Closed Monitoring Headphones, Teaching. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment